It Started with a Pair of Jeans

Two pairs, actually.

I threw a load of laundry into the washing machine on a Tuesday, and all heck broke loose.

"What are you doing?" my husband asked.

"Laundry," I said.

"I know that...but what are you doing?"

I was scheduled to guest lecture at two different garden club meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday. With snow still falling, however, I knew it was going to be a boots and jeans kind of day. The problem? I had one pair of jeans left that I could wear outside of the house. The others all had rips, some in embarrassing places.

I don't think any woman likes shopping for jeans, but I especially hate it. My figure is very feminine, shall we say - curves in all the right place. A slim waist, large hips, long legs. (Yeah, some problem, right?) Anyway, the current styles of jeans do not appeal to me. Boot cut? Makes my behind look fat. Slim? Are you kidding me? I haven't worn skinny jeans since I was 17, and even then they hurt. Don't get me started on low-rise monstrosities; sure, I want the whole world to see my underwear. Right...

Anyway, I'm down to one pair of jeans that are passable to wear outside of the house. So I was doing laundry and I started thinking about how my grandmother didn't own a single pair of blue jeans. My mother never did during my lifetime, although I've seen pictures of her from the 1950s in jeans and a plaid shirt at a picnic. She had her jeans rolled up to her calves, like pedal pushers, and she looked like she was having a blast.

I really don't like modern fashions all that much. I don't find them flattering, and I don't think they are very appealing. I love vintage stuff; vintage fashions from the 1930s, 1940s and selected pieces from other decades. I love old movies where ladies wore dresses, aprons, lace up shoes, gloves and hats.  I wish we'd return to elegance...

That's where the vision for this blog came from - a return to elegance.  I've read many books and blogs on modesty, and feminine dressing, but what I think the discussion around modesty and feminine dressing falls apart is the fact that it often descends into legalism. I'm not into legalism. I am into style, classic and elegant; into dressing for the day's functions; and into showing respect for my audience and a sense of deportment in everything I do.

So that's the vision that birthed this blog.  I hope you'll follow it here, and join my Facebook page. Everything is new, fresh and sparkly. Isn't that fun?

Vintage.

Elegance.

Style.

Grace.

Class.

Welcome to A Return to Elegance!

Popular Posts