Storing Costume Jewelry

Elegance doesn't equate expense in my book. Tasteful accessories, well-chosen to complement your outfit, can look as elegant as the most expensive jewels. 

I prefer collecting hand-made and vintage jewelry to add an unusual touch to my outfits. I love pearls, glass beads of all sorts, and unique handcrafted earrings. Even though I work from home every day, I always wear earrings and a necklace, and on the weekends or when I go out to dinner, I add my favorite brooches, pins, and other jewelry to my outfits.

The problem, as anyone who collects multiple pieces of inexpensive costume jewelry can attest, is how to store it all. I've tried keeping it on the cards that it comes with, or placing it back into the boxes when I buy jewelry on Etsy or at a craft fair. The boxes end up in a jumble, and the earrings always end up detaching from the cards and tumbling into profusion and confusion in my dresser drawer.

I have a jewelry box, a lovely gift from my husband when we were dating many years ago. But it doesn't have compartments for earrings. I puzzled over how to store my costume jewelry in a way that would make it organize, easily searchable, and yet keep it together in my dresser drawer.

I hit upon this gem of an idea after watching my husband store nails in his workbench: hardware storage cases!



These little boxes are actually plastic storage containers to store screws, drill bits, nuts and bolts. The compartments are adjustable. You can take the little plastic slots out and make small compartments for earrings or big ones, like this one for my vintage bracelets:

Vintage 1950s and repurposed Victorian china made into bracelets, all in one compartment.

Earrings go into the small compartment.


Two organizers, each priced around $4 at Lowe's Home Improvement, organized all of my costume jewelry.

I store the earrings several pairs to one compartment, but I try not to store two of the same type of earrings in a compartment. For example, I wear a lot of small, colorful pearl stud earrings. Because I get dressed in the dark so as not to wake my husband, I made sure to place only one pair of pearl studs in one compartment. I can be assured this way, even fumbling around in the dark, that I've got a matching pair.

These little cases keep my jewelry clean and organized. It just goes to show you that you don't need to spend a lot of money on fancy organizers or jewelry boxes for storing costume jewelry!

Popular Posts