New Style for A Return to Elegance



Hello, lovely ladies and gentlemen! I hope you've been keeping well and have been enjoying a beautiful spring.

Much has been happening in my little corner of the world, and this had kept me from blogging here regularly. I thought, frankly, that no one cared about "a return to elegance" and all that it means to me - the intersection of faith, culture, and style. Then, I began to see some emails, comments, and numbers flowing into my Facebook page for this blog as well as to the site. What a surprise! It seems as if we are all hungering for a return to elegance.

I know that I am, and it's not just about fashion. A trip to Wal-Mart (our largest grocery store here in rural America) requires more metaphorical eye-bleach than I can keep on hand to wipe the images of slovenly shoppers out of my mind. Now I am not picking on anyone or any store in particular. However, when you cannot even muster the energy to change into actual clothing to go shopping for your milk and bread and kitty litter then I must protest. I really do not want to see pajamas on display with vulgar t-shirts and flip-flops. People, at least change into slacks, clean jeans, and a clean t-shirt and actual shoes. That's not too much to ask and I'm sure it won't cramp your style too much.

Along with the degradation of fashion has come tthe degradation of manners. Why can't people do their shopping without an ear bud blasting music? Why can't children spend a half hour in a grocery cart without an electronic babysitter bleeping and blasting in their hands? Why do people insist on lengthy, private cell phone conversations - in public?

I think I've made my point. With the insistence on people being allowed to express themselves freely that arrived on the heels of the 1960s culture came the decline of all manners, fashion, and cultural standards. We need them. Desperately.

If you're feeling the same, stick around. We'll be exploring much of these issues and defining new rules for a new society to bring back a return to elegance.




Popular Posts